New York area pals rejoice! I’m going to be joining comedian and hyphenate pop culture enthusiast Kevin Maher for a celebration of the ghastliest, most horrible, and all-around dastardliest bad guys for Kevin Geeks Out About Super Villains on Thursday July 30 at Nitehawk Cinema in Brooklyn. I’ve been furiously editing video, making gifs, and getting my comics into a presentable format for the event, which will be a one-of-a-kind variety show featuring experts, artists, and other assorted weirdoes.
View the trailer here:
For those unfamiliar with Nitehawk, it’s a fantastic movie theater featuring a full-service bar and kitchen. I will advise you NOT to start a drinking game where you take a slug every time I compare a super villain to “the demonic other” or any time a speaker suggests they might want to have filthy, filthy sex with one of the super villains being discussed. You might die.
There will also be an audience participation game during which one lucky bastard will win an original Red Skull painting by *me*, in case the promise of drinks, laughs, and general weirdness wasn’t enough.
The evening’s rogue’s gallery of presenters includes:
- Nick Nadel – writer for IFC.com and host of Movies My Friends Have Never Seen
- Doctor Geoff Klock – author of “The Future of Comics, the Future of Men: Matt Fraction’s ‘Casanova'”
- Maureen Matarese – linguist
- Becky Munich – artist and designatrix
- Paul Murphy – editor and pop culture expert